I think it's safe to say that most bloggers started out writing because they first found other blogs that they read regularly and connected with, and wanted to contribute something to the blogging community in return, but with their own, unique spin on things. Or something like that.
Whether or not that's true for all bloggers, it is indeed the case with me. One of my favorite parts of the day is when I get into bed, glasses on, teeth brushed, and listen to music while I check my favorite blogs. If you're looking to add some to your current reading list, here they are:
- I Suwannee is the home dec/lifestyle blog of Jamie Meares, an interior decorator who owns the fabulous Furbish Studios in Raleigh, NC. I love Jamie's decorating style (her motto is "dare to mix"): think girly florals, bold stripes, plush textures, ikats and suzanis and shiboris and kilims, all layered together with pops of neon and sparkly metallics. She has a pretty dope fashion sense too, and her writing is sharp and funny. I recently made a pilgrimmage to Furbish on a trip to Raleigh with my mom, who was mildly horrified with how much I fangirl-ed out over "the gal with the crazy red hair".
- Cupcakes and Cashmere is actually a midly embarassing daily read of mine; my friend Christina and I "love to hate it" together. While I admit that Emily's unnecessary use of lofty vocabulary, her overly elaborate recipes and semi-ridiculous outfit posts make me simulatenously laugh and cringe, I can't deny the fact that the blog -- and its author -- are just plain pretty to look at. And she has a weekly feature called "Links I Love" that actually rarely disappoints.
- Steaktooth was a total happy accident; when I got hopelessly addicted to the show Workaholics earlier this year, I Googled the actors a lot, and came across Rachel Anderson, Blake's wife, a former streetwear model who started this blog and also an American-made tee-shirt line with her hubs. I love the crazy/cool images she posts on her main blog, and also the regular feature "Bad Advice", in which readers send in questions about everything from fashion to romance and she answers them. I don't always agree with what Steak has to say, but I admire her straightforward, girl-power vibe.
- Dlisted is utter trash, and I read it every day. It's basically a Hollywood gossip blog, but this ain't your average Perez Hilton. NSFW... like, at all. You've been warned.
- Ultreya Mama is my dear friend Val's take on the "mommy blog", and it's the only one of its genre that I feel comfortable reading as a young, single, non-mommy. My favorite posts are her musings on everyday experiences we all encounter as women, but she's also got healthful recipes, funny takes on red carpet fashion, and enough pics of her adorable son to satisfy any cute-baby appreciator (like me). Plus she's a total babe, and I'm not just saying that because she's my friend!
- Domesticate Me! is one of my favorite food blogs; though sometimes I find her posts dragging on a little long (sound like anyone you know??), her recipes are delish and wholesome, and it's refreshing to read kitchen advice from a brash, funny, mid-20s white girl who was trained at Le Cordon Bleu. Give her a try if you're having friends over for dinner and want to whip up something simple, healthy and impressive.
- The A.V. Club was a hand-me-down from my much cooler older sister Kate. Though I'm not exactly letting y'all in on any new shit here, The A.V. Club is my go-to for anything entertainment related: TV show reviews, music write-ups, articles on films past present and future. It's one of The Onion's sister sites, so you can expect that same brand of dry, intelligent humor here.
...So that's it for now, but I'm sure I'll add to this list later (hence the "part 1 of many" bit). What blogs do y'all read? I'm always looking to expand my collection :)